Just call me the Mzungu in the boot

Day 2-3 (depending how you look at it) in Kenya and I feel that we're really getting into the heart of Kenya. I realize that I prefer the villages to the city, maybe because the view is better, maybe its because it smells better, I'm not sure.

We taught for the first time today, seeing the kids in the school just made me feel so happy, like I do anytime I'm in a school, really. I figured out a couple spots I could work on in my lesson, but the kids seem to know their stuff pretty well already. It seemed like throughout our travels today we've seen so many people stop and point while saying "Mzungu" (translation: white person). We were given a ride to the school by the Pastor of the connected church, and I offered to ride in the trunk, so a native noticed that there was a "Mzungu in the boot."

We visited a village that makes a bunch of soapstone carvings and decorative plates. I think I managed to find 90% of my souvenirs for my family and its only a couple days in. Hopefully my spending habits will get a little better over time.

The only trouble I'm having is loss of appetite. The pastor's wife made a wonderful huge meal that I was only able to eat a little bit of it. I felt so bad when she saw my plate. Hopefully as I keep going I'll have a better tolerance for the food.

We have one day left in Kisii and then we'll be heading to the next school, where we'll be for the next few days. I'm pretty excited to head over there because that's where I got the most perspective of what to expect from Kenya.

Keep sending encouraging words I love reading all your comments and at time the culture shock can get pretty nasty. I'll post again soon!

4 comments :

  1. So glad you got to go to a school -- children are the best, aren't they?! Hoping you adjust to the food and are feeling healthy! I'm praying for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the culture shock with the food, too. We were served chicken and rice at every meal, plus mangoes (and you know how I feel about mangoes). While I like chicken and rice, it got a little old after a while! Can't wait to see pictures of all of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to seeing what you all bought. Hope you (or someone) is taking lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sis! Hope all is well, or at least some, or maybe a base minimum by which you still feel you can get by. You talk about smells & I have to laugh because your sister always brought that up any time she refers back to India. I also find that funny because smells are my absolute Achilles heel as well. I had a Hmong guy I used to work with prepare some fish for me once. I caught a whiff of it & had no idea how I was going to eat it & not throw up. Turned out that it did not taste like it smelled. I'm not going to claim I would ever choose to eat it again, but it was edible. Then again, so are beetles. Just food for thought. Me smiling. You smiling. Paul McCartney smiling?
    Tomorrow your brother is driving up here. I'm going to take him out fishing on a lake I've never been on before. While that can be a recipe for disaster, I know his expectations are much lower than mine, so I'm going to roll the dice. I'm hoping the lake won't be too busy with the 4th being on Saturday this year. Everybody & their brother was out & about today. Me & your brother will be out & about tomorrow. Me smiling again. You rolling your eyes. Your parents are coming up Saturday morning. Weather is supposed to be nice. By the way, if you guys get rained on, I will be your biggest supporter if you bust out in 80's classic lyric, "I've felt the rain down in Africa." They could never take that away from you.
    Anyway, I don't really have anything poignant to say. But why should today be any different than any other day. Me crying. You smiling. Just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you. Love ya sis.

    ReplyDelete